“Adjustment of status” is the process of becoming a legal resident of the United States while already in the United States.

Adjustment of status is appropriate for qualifying immigrant family members who are already in the United States and are willing to stay in the United States until a temporary travel document is issued as part of the pending adjustment of status case. In most cases, once an adjustment of status case is filed, the immigrant may not be able to travel outside of the United States with a visa previously obtained (most visas are not “dual intent” and do not permit the holder to have the intent to stay in the United States). USCIS will consider leaving the United States without the temporary travel document (called an “advance parole” document) or a valid “dual intent” visa abandonment of the case, resulting in denial.

Adjustment of status is generally appropriate for individuals who entered the United States after inspection by an immigration officer or who are 245i eligible. Individuals who last entered the United States with specific visas do not qualify to file for adjustment of status.

We Have Competitive Flat-Fee Rates for Adjustment of Status Cases


There are additional government fees and miscellaneous fees for which you are responsible. For the typical one-step adjustment of status cases, the government filing fees are $1,760. This amount might be slightly lower for certain individuals based on age and may be lower if a Form I-130 petition is not required or has already been filed and/or approved.

Applicants for adjustment of status will also need to complete a medical examination (approx. $300-$500) [which we generally recommend completing just prior to the interview date]. Translation and interpretation services may be required, however, professional translation services are optional, and non professionals are permitted to translate/ interpret. For cases where it is necessary to prove parentage, a DNA test may be required (approx. $300).